Crafting is good for the soul

The world is much more beautiful with a little faith and a lot of magic...and tons of groovy handcrafted things!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Raw garnets


On a recent trip downtown to the jewelry mart I found these amazing stones. They were hanging there with all the other semiprecious gemstone beads just screaming my name. I knew they were something special, although they really just looked like granite or something.


Turns out they are garnets. One of my favorites! Raw garnets, to be exact. You can see traces of deep red as well as some opalescent trails that remind me of labradorite.



The depth and rustic quality of the stone called for oxidized sterling silver, but I wanted to give the necklace a bit of softness and femininity so I added just a few round white freshwater pearls. With this stone you can really see the red garnet-ness!!

Garnets are known to enhance creativity and promote productivity. They are also said to bring about prosperity and happiness. Perfect!! I've been wearing this lovely necklace ever since I made it. Hopefully it will give me some inspiration and keep me on track with my newest project... a baby rag quilt!!!


Ok, off to buy some thread and then sew sew sew....

No comments: